How to Obtain Divine Healing
Many people are sceptical about divine healing, solely because they haven’t experienced it themselves or they lack faith. Healing and miracles are merely an act of faith. Without faith, it is impossible to receive healing. And they took offense at him. But Jesus said to them, “A prophet is not without honour except in his own town and in his own home.” And he did not do many miracles there because of their lack of faith (Matthew 13:57-58).
If a person is ill, he has to take the correct medication to get cured. What would happen if the person took the wrong medication? He would not benefit from it and would remain ill. In divine healing too, a person has to take the correct action of faith to receive healing. The precise action could be an act of repentance, or it could be forgiving and reconciling with someone. It could be a change of lifestyle and attitude. It could also be receiving deliverance and being set free from the bondage of evil. At times, it could be as simple as reversing a curse. For a non-believer, receiving God’s salvation could bring healing and wholeness.
Sickness can bring you pain and unwanted suffering. It can bring obstruction and interruption to your normal life. Although, sin is the main cause of every sickness, one has to be careful not to point fingers at every sick person and call them a miserable sinner. There is none that is perfect and all have fallen from the grace of God. There are saints in heaven that had lived a holy life on earth, yet suffered greatly due to sickness. Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the LORD delivers him out of them all (Psalms 34:19).
Are you sick and desire for God’s healing touch? Here are a few things you can do to receive your healing from God.
- Stir Up Your Faith: And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him (Hebrews 11:6). Read scriptures that speak of God’s healing; believe and confess them aloud. Meditate on God’s love and be prepared to receive His healing with faith.
- Pray For Healing: Many people suffer greatly due to illness, because they fail to ask God to heal them. Sometimes healing could be as simple as asking to be healed. “Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you (Matthew 7:7).”
- Receive Discernment: When you go to the doctor for an illness, he will examine your symptoms and then diagnose your medical condition. Based on his diagnoses, he will then begin his treatment. Similarly, for divine healing, one has to examine one’s conscience, pray and ask the Holy Spirit for discernment to identify the cause of their illness. And try to discern what is pleasing to the Lord (Ephesians 5:10).
- Be Obedient: Many times, receiving healing is an act of obedience. Let the Holy Spirit lead you to repentance and righteousness. Sometimes, people find it very easy to acknowledge their sins and confess it and seek forgiveness, but true healing comes as a result of sincere repentance, when one honestly turns away from wickedness and walks in righteousness. Repentance means turning away from sin completely and living in obedience to God and doing good. At times, people suffer illnesses because others have offended them and they have failed to forgive the offender. God does not hold us accountable for the offences of others, but He does hold us accountable when we have failed to forgive others. Trust in the Lord, be brave and forgive your offenders and set them and yourself free.
- Wait on The Lord: There are people who have been healed very quickly, but there are times when healing takes a while. When we repent, God’s forgiveness is always instantaneous, but restoration takes time and so does healing. For instance, a person may have been living in disobedience to God for a long time. He then repents and asks God to forgive him. God’s forgiveness is immediate, but the person’s health and restoration may not be immediate and may take time. The person may have to go through this process of waiting, which in time, will lead to healing and restoration.
- Minister to Others: Whether you are healed completely or are waiting on the Lord for your healing, minister to others that are sick. Pray and intercede for those that are afflicted. Share with people your testimony and the love of God and lay hands on them and pray for healing. “These signs will accompany those who have believed: in My name they will cast out demons, they will speak with new tongues; they will pick up serpents, and if they drink any deadly poison, it will not hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover (Mark 16:17-18).”
- Glorify God in Everything: Praise and thank God for the healing. If you are still waiting for your healing, use your suffering to be humble before God. Let your suffering and pain make you a better person and not a bitter person. Like Job, give thanks to God, even while you are in anguish. He said, “Naked I came from my mother’s womb, and naked I shall return there. The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away. Blessed be the name of the LORD.” Through all this Job did not sin nor did he blame God (Job 1:21-22).